From the Office of the Hays County Fire Marshal
Scott Raven, Fire Marshal
PRESS RELEASE – Immediate release Dec. 4, 2019
On November 27, 2019 at 10:17AM, the Hays County Fire Marshal was requested by the Kyle Fire Department to respond to a fire in the 3800 block of Dacy Lane in Kyle, TX.
A fire investigation was conducted. It was determined that the occupant was smoking a turkey in a wood fired smoker and that smoker that was located between his home and an out building and a carport that contained a travel trailer. The smoker had been left unattended for approximately 30 minutes while the occupant went inside the home. The occupant discovered the fire and called 911. The metal door of the smokers’ fire box was found in the open position. It appears the operation of the metal door to be difficult to close or inoperable. Winds were blowing from the NNE at 23 mph. Embers from fire inside the fire box ignited materials in the immediate area of the smoker and spread to the shed and travel trailer. During the fire one of the tires on the travel trailer exploded. The fire quickly spread to an outbuilding and another vehicle before it was extinguished by the Kyle Fire Department. The home that was nearby was also saved by the fire department. No one was injured in this incident. Loss is estimated at $ 10,000. The cause of the fire is accidental.
The Hays County Fire Marshal has some tips for cooking/fire safely;
Cook only in an approved appliance that is in good working condition.
Do not use cooking appliances or fires on balconies or within 10 feet of a structure or combustible material.
All fires shall be supervised by a competent adult at all times until the fire is extinguished.
Have a portable fire extinguisher or water hose nearby for emergencies.
Do not use open flame devices in a wildfire risk area.
– – – END – – –