Robert S. Light Project Details
Robert S. Light Blvd. Extension
From RM 967 at Robert S. Light Blvd. to FM 1626
CSJs: 0914-33-068, ETC.
Hays County, Texas
Map of Proposed Project Area
Hays County, in cooperation with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is proposing to construct an extension of Robert S. Light Boulevard from the intersection of the existing Robert S. Light Boulevard and RM 967 to FM 1626 in Hays County, Texas. This notice advises the public that a draft environmental assessment (EA) is available for public review and that Hays County will be conducting an online virtual public hearing on the proposed project with an in-person option. The virtual hearing will be available starting Sept. 24, 2020, at 9 a.m. through Oct. 9, 2020, at 11:59 p.m.
A virtual public hearing was held in September 2020.
Click here to view the public hearing video presentation
- The proposed 1.92-mile extension of Robert S. Light Boulevard from its current terminus at RM 967 to FM 1626 in Hays County, Texas includes the construction of the northernmost two-lane section of an ultimate divided four-lane section between the municipalities of Buda and Kyle. The proposed project right of way (ROW) varies from 200-feet to 290-feet and accommodates the future construction of the ultimate four-lane divided roadway when the projected traffic growth indicates expansion is needed and as funding allows.
- The proposed roadway extension includes the construction of two 12-foot travel lanes, one in each travel direction, with 10-foot shoulders on each side with open ditch drainage. The project also includes the construction of a bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks as well as a bridge over the Mustang Branch of Onion Creek and Centex Materials haul road. The project area includes 53.8 acres of proposed ROW within the Centex quarry and would not require any displacements.
- Although additional right of way would be required, no residential or non-residential structures are anticipated to be displaced at this time. Information concerning services and benefits available to affected property owners and information about the tentative schedule for right-of-way acquisition and construction can be obtained from Hays County by calling (512) 214-6153.
- The proposed project would involve construction in wetlands.
- The proposed project would involve an action in a floodplain.
- The proposed project would occur within the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone, contributing within the transition zone, and transition zone. A water pollution abatement plan will be prepared for the project section within the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone. A water pollution abatement plan will be prepared for the portion of the project within the aquifer recharge zone.
- The draft EA, any maps and drawings showing the project location and design, tentative construction schedules, and other information regarding the proposed project are available on this web page. These materials will also be available in hard copy form for review at the in-person option.
Memorandum of Understanding
The environmental review, consultation, and other actions required by applicable federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried-out by TxDOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated December 16, 2014, and executed by FHWA and TxDOT.
Right of way (ROW) Information
If you would like to familiarize yourself with the process for state purchase of ROW and relocation assistance, please see the following pamphlets:
- Official Notice
- Project Location Map
- Draft Environmental Assessment
- Written Comment Form
- Combined Tech Reports
- Presentation Script
- Video Presentation
Study Area and Schematic