Please visit the Law Library to access Westlaw.
Westlaw is available on the public computers in the Law Library or on your device inside the Government Center.
To access Westlaw on a public computer in the Law Library, look for the icon on the computer desktop or the favorite link.
To access Westlaw on your device click here. Please note that the link is only accessible when on the Hays County network and is not accessible on any other network.
All Westlaw users should note the following:
- Westlaw is only accessible on two devices at one time in any combination of users.
- Examples: Two users on their own devices will block access to the computers in the library. Two users on the computers in the library will block access to users’ own devices. One user in the library and one user on their device will block others’ access.
- You should ALWAYS click on the logoff button and not just close the browser when you are ready to exit. Closing the browser without logging off keeps the session open until up to 30 minutes later leaving a user without being able to access it.
- During a single session, Westlaw will limit you to 20 downloads, print, or email in any combination.
- The Law Library has a limit of 150 downloads, prints, or emails per day.
Content available via Westlaw Patron Access
Primary Law – Caselaw, Court Rules, Statutes and Regulations, Bills and Session Laws, and Administrative decisions and guidance.
- Litigation Materials – Trial Court Documents and Appellate Briefs
- Legislative Content – Legislative history
- Secondary Sources – Analytical resources, Text and Treatises, Law Reviews and Journals, Key Rules, State and Federal Practice Series and Guides, and American Law Reports.
- National and Texas Forms
- KeyCite for verifying if a case, statute, regulation, or administrative decision has been invalidated.
- Practical Law – “How-to” on specific legal topics
Lexis Digital Law Library
The Hays County Law Library is pleased to announce the Hays County Digital Law Library. The Hays County Law Library now offers the LexisNexis Digital Law Library (eBooks) on the Overdrive platform. This program allows our borrowers to log in through our electronic books portal and access 42 titles from Lexis, including Dorsaneo’s Texas Litigation Guide, Texas Probate Forms & Procedures, and various criminal law resources.
Each user obtains an individual user account. Users can save items to view later and customize the portal. To obtain a login, users must complete user training.
To request a username and password to access the system, send an email to email@example.com with your first name, last name, and email address.
The books are also available in print format inside the Law Library. All books must remain inside the Law Library; book checkout is not available. Law Library staff can assist with making copies of any forms.
To access the Digital Library click here.