Precinct 2 Projects (Buda/Kyle area)
In November 2008, Hays County voters approved a proposition to issue $207 million in Hays County road bonds for roadway safety and mobility improvements across the county.
Two categories of projects will be funded through the bond issue:
- Projects eligible for Pass-Through Financing reimbursement from the State of Texas (Texas Department of Transportation), which will reimburse up to $133 million through the TxDOT Pass-Through Funding Program
- Other priority projects which were identified as particularly important locally through input from local entities (municipal governments, school districts) and through a public participation process conducted in July 2008
In addition to the $207 million in taxpayer-financed road bonds, the Hays County road projects approved by voters will be funded with at least $11 million from the City of Kyle, $7 million from the City of San Marcos and $3 million from federal grants. Below are the lists of Pass-Through and Priority Projects by category for Precinct 2. Although each project is assigned a number for tracking purposes, projects are listed in order of their expected/actual start dates. To see the county-wide list and map of road bond projects, click here.
Precinct 2 Pass-Through Projects
Projects 18 and 19 — FM 1626A and FM 1626B – FM 2770 to Bliss Spillar Road
This project consists of reconstructing 6.8 miles of existing FM 1626. The existing roadway is a 2-lane rural roadway with limited or no shoulders and several low water areas. The roadway would be reconstructed as a 5-lane rural facility, and the County is developing Context Sensitive design elements for the FM 1626 corridor.
-FM 1626 Segment A (FM 967 to FM 2770)
- Preliminary engineering and environmental studies underway
- Preliminary right-of-way acquisition and utility relocation activities initiated
- Estimated construction start date: 2014
- Estimated construction completed date: 2016
- Project Status: Environmental studies complete; Public Hearing held December 8, 2009; environmental clearance issued October 2011
- Right-of-way acquisition and utility relocation activities underway
- Design work 100% completed
- Construction contract awarded by County August 2012
- Estimated construction completed date: Winter 2014 (late 2014)
- Project 18 detail map download
Latest info, get email updates at www.improve1626.com
Project 22 IH-35 Phase 1 – Kyle Crossing (CR 210) to Kyle Parkway (FM 1626)
This project consists of reconstructing the substandard 2-lane bridge over IH-35, including a North-South and South-North turn-around bridge. The project will also construct a section of frontage road between Kyle Crossing and FM 1626. Constructing this missing gap of frontage road will allow the IH-35 frontage roads between FM 2001 and FM 1626 to operate as one-way. The City of Kyle, through a State Infrastructure Bank loan, will contribute $11.0 million.
- Let for construction: August 2009
- Open to traffic: December 1, 2011
- Project 22 detail map download
Project 23 IH-35 Phase 2B – FM 150 to FM 1626 (ramps, southbound frontage roads). This project completes the southbound frontage road between FM 1626 and RM 150. The project includes constructing new ramps and a realignment of RM 150 east of IH 35. The frontage road construction and realignment of RM 150 will allow the frontage roads between FM 1626 and Yarrington Road to be converted from two-way to one-way operation. When this project is complete, all of the IH 35 frontage roads in Hays County will be able to be converted to one-way. (Phase 2A, FM 150 Realignment located in Project 24, Precinct 1.)
- Project Status: Environmental studies complete; Public Hearing held September 8, 2011; environmental clearance issued January 5, 2012
- Design 100% completed
- Right of way acquisition complete
- Utility relocation complete
- Construction contract awarded (by TxDOT) May 2012
- Open to traffic October 2013
- Project 23 detail map download
- Sept. 8, 2011, Public Hearing Documents and Maps
- IH 35 Comment and Response Report
- IH 35 Summary and Analysis
- RM 150 Comment and Response
- RM 150 Summary and Analysis
- I-35 and RM 150 Realignment Timeline Letter to Residents - July 16, 2012
- I-35 and RM 150 Realignment Timeline Letter to Residents - July 30, 2012
This project improves existing Overpass Road as part of the overall realignment and improvements to FM 2001. Significant improvements to FM 2001 have been made in a partnership between TxDOT, the City of Buda, private developers and Hays County. This is the last connection to the new $20.0 million interchange and frontage road improvements made by TxDOT.
- Open to Traffic: September 2010
Precinct 2 Priority Projects
Project 12a SH 21 at High Road (CR 127) Safety and intersection improvements, including the addition of a left turn lane on SH 21 onto High Road, widening shoulders on SH 21, and improvements to the High Road (CR 127) approach pavement.
- Project Status: 90% design complete
- Estimated Construction Start Date: Summer 2010
- Estimated Construction Completion Date: Summer 2011
- Project 12a detail map download
Project 12b SH 21 at FM 2001 Safety and intersection improvements, including the addition of a left turn lane on SH 21 onto RM 2001, widening shoulders on SH 21, and level-up and overlay of approach pavement.
- Project Status: Preliminary design in progress
- Estimated Construction Start Date: Summer 2011
- Estimated Construction Completion Date: Summer 2012
- Project 12b detail map download
Project 12c SH 21 at Rohde Road (CR 126) Safety and intersection improvements, including the addition of a left turn lane on SH 21 onto Rohde Road and reconstruction of the Rohde Road (CR 126) approach to improve geometry and channelization.
- Project Status: Design expected to begin Summer 2010
- Project 12c detail map download
Project 13 Dacy Lane (CR 206), Bebee Road (CR 122) to Windy Hill Road (CR 131). Funding for this project covers conducting engineering studies necessary to determine and preserve right-of-way for improvements to this roadway corridor. No construction funding is available at this time.
- Project Status: Studies expected to begin Spring 2010
- Project 13 detail map download
Project 16 Lakewood Drive at FM 1626. Funding for this project is for safety improvements at the intersection of Lakewood Drive and FM 1626, including improving the Lakewood Drive approach to FM 1626 and raising the low-water crossing on Lakewood Drive.
- Project Status: Preliminary design in progress
- Estimated Construction Start Date: Winter 2011
- Estimated Construction Completion Date: Spring 2012
- Project 16 detail map download
- Lakewood Drive Bridge 1
- Lakewood Drive Bridge 2
- Lakewood Drive Bridge 3
Project 17 RM 967 at Ruby Ranch Road. Funding for this project includes proposed safety improvements at the intersection FM 967 and Ruby Ranch Road, covering the addition of a left turn lane on RM 967 onto Ruby Ranch Road. Implementation of this project is contingent on the availability of funds from the Series 2009 bond proceeds.
DISCLAIMER: All improvements described herein are proposed actions. Final design and implementation of these improvements are contingent upon availability of funds relative to financial constraints of the bond market and economic conditions. All schedules are preliminary and subject to change.