Dudley Connaly Johnson
Dec. 9, 1884 – Dec. 14, 1934
Dudley Connaly Johnson was the eldest child of Mr. and Mrs. T.C. Johnson, early residents of San Marcos who built their home at 429 N. Guadalupe Street, where the Texas State University Visitors and Reception Center is now located.
Dudley became a respected businessman and civic leader, known for his friendship to all residents. He was married to Edna Gulledge.
He died in a tragic hunting accident near Kyle in 1934, and San Marcos closed down for his funeral.
In 1973 his brother Thomas C. Johnson, Jr., also of San Marcos, donated almost 17 acres of land at Five Mile Dam to Hays County in honor of Dudley. The park named for him is adjacent to the County’s 18-acre Randall Wade Vetter Park and a new 43-acre park currently under construction. Johnson Park is in a natural setting with nature views and hiking and biking trails
–Dudley Johnson information courtesy of the Johnson Family of San Marcos