Select Page

Development Services Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit for development in Hays County?

All development (inside or outside of the floodplain) requires a permit from Hays County.

What is considered development?

Development is defined as: “All land modification activity, including but not limited to, construction of buildings, roadways, paved storage areas, parking lots, stormwater management facilities and other impervious structures or surfaces (i.e. house, swimming pool, shed, slab/foundation, fill, clearing, etc.).”

Other Frequently Asked Questions about Development

Below are answers to Frequently Asked Questions about our different program areas. If you are not able to find an answer to your question, please call our office at 512.393.2150 or e-mail us

See our Development Flowchart.

Other Resources and Links:

9-1-1 Addressing & GIS (Mapping)

Development Permits

Food Establishments

Daycare Facilities

Mobile Food Establishments

On-Site Sewage Facility (OSSF)

Subdivision Planning

Miscellaneous FAQs



Hays County